Going to Bed Early

The good thing about going to bed early is that you feel like you can do all the things you never get to do before bed since you have all this stinking time. Which means you sit down to put up a quick post and before you know it, you are going to bed late. Oh well. I was never good at getting any winks before midnight.

We have all been sleeping fine in my apartment lately until Spike started working really hard at work and now all of a sudden his stress induced insomnia is waking us both at at odd hours. The other night he woke me up at 3am screaming - something about having a nightmare that I came into his room but I was really a monster and blah blah blah.

So first it's having a boyfriend that keeps me up all hours, then when you get married it's a pretty big adjustment to getting used to the other person bouncing around on their side of bed all night. Then once you get used to that - BAM! You get pregnant - which of course is not conducive to sleep at all. What a joke. Of course, not 24 hours after pregnancy ends, you get a 6 pound colicky screaming hyena. After I got all those kinks worked out, Spike decides to have nightmares about me that end up with both of us lying in bed terrified at 3am. Is there no justice? I can only dream with fondness of what comes next... no wait, let me guess - pregnancy again! Sheesh! It really is remarkable how I maintain my pristine beauty under such impossible sleep conditions.

So tonight, my precious tonight, I am going to go to bed before 10pm so at least I can get a few hours before Spike wakes us both with a shout at 2:30am to tell me about his nightmare where Hollywood the Vampire has just sucked all the blood out of our baby and ransacked the village. I can't wait. I'm all about empathy.

Comments

tkf489 said…
The phrase "a 6 pound colicky screaming hyena" is going to be bandied about in PJ's therapy sessions quite frequently I predict.

I've got to say though, something has clicked for me and I am getting the best sleep of my life lately. 7 or 8 hours and I go like a trojan and don't even need a nap.

But law school will probably change all that. And I would give ANYTHING for a girlfriend that kept me up all night, or a wife that rolled over in bed and screamed in the middle of the night, and a cute hyena of my own.
Spike said…
you're desparation is duly noted.
Anonymous said…
I recommend Ambien (zolpidem tartrate).
Sarah said…
I hope that's a sleep medication and not something to help with the wacky. It's the wacky that makes it good!
Troy, you've really got to stop moaning about getting a wife. Just buy an x-box. You'll be much happier and much richer than most husbands out there.
Anonymous said…
Look, it could be worse. Does he talk in his sleep? Because Francis and I once had the following exchange (him asleep, me awake, reading):

"Mmmph!"
"What?"
"Stairs!"
"What about the stairs??" (curious at this point.)
"Get up the stairs?" (agitated.)
"Why?"
"Zombies! Slow on stairs!"
"..Alrighty..."

Trust me, it's less charming when you're BOTH sleeping.

Popular Posts