Sunday Treats

Our church is three hours long. For the first hour we meet together in the chapel for sacrament service. After that we can drop off our kids at their age-appropriate classes and split up in smaller groups for more interactive lessons.

My two year old has been attending the church nursery since she was 18 months old. She loves it and spends a good amount of her playtime during the week pretending she's at nursery. It's been interesting to see what she picks up. Nursery consists of play time, a lesson, song time and snack time. When Pixie wants my attention she'll tell me in a sweet, yet patronizing voice, "okay, it's time to sit down and listen." I usually play along and will sit down to hear what gems of knowledge she has to dispense.

Tonight before bedtime she informed Spike and me that it was time to sit and listen. We sat and looked at her expectantly. "Heavenly Father makes us happy," she began. "He lives in California. Here's a picture of Jesus." She held up an imaginary picture and then gave us both our own imaginary pictures. Then she said matter of factly, "time to eat Jesus," and shoved her imaginary picture in her mouth viciously and began chewing with enjoyment. "Eat Jesus!" she commanded us when we didn't move. So we did.

For two hours a week of free childcare, I'll eat whatever she wants.

Comments

Samantha said…
Your kid sounds awesome. I also reaaaaally like that you went ahead and "ate Jesus." Is this a true story? It's an awesome one.

And thanks for your encouraging pregnancy comments on my blog. I actually have seen those about.com pics of women and although I haven't looked at them since before I was showing, I remember they mainly grossed me out b/c most of the women were waaaay overweight and it scared me. It's strange; last week I had someone tell me "Oh you look great! You're so little! You barely look pregnant!" To which I looked at my big belly and said, "then what's this?" confusedly...is that a word? Anyway, then today I had someone tell me, "You're HUGE! If you're only 6 months then good luck!" Pregnancy is a very, very interesting time.
Carina said…
HA!

I remember when El Guille first went into nursery, it was like he was saying, "HEY, wait a minute, there are people MY SIZE? Where have these people been and why don't we have this many toys?"
Awesome Mom said…
lol!! As nursery leader of my ward I get to see a whole lot of hilarious things.
Special K ~Toni said…
LOL! Penny is such a ham! Love it!
Colleen said…
Awesome. Truly. Elijah is already betrothed to three other girls, but can we add Penny to the list?
flip flop mama said…
That's hilarious! I love that she told you that Jesus lives in California. Rachel, our daughter, just tells us what she eats for snack in nursery. Usually it's goldfish crackers and grapes or apple slices. She LOVES snack time! LOL
Me said…
I usually chuckle while reading fellow blogs, but this had me cracking up. Eat Jesus! Last week, my nursery age son was singing in the hall outside the bishop's office, "I like the way you do that right thur, right thur." I don't even know what hiphopper sings that, or how the rest of the song goes, but it sure was funny.
Bek said…
Eat Jesus. I see a new marketing angle for the WWJD folks...

I love the phase when they come home and mimic everything they have learned during the day.. Last week for FHE my 6 year old did a lesson and did it just like a Sharing Time (asking us questions, she drew her of Samuel The Lamanite picture complete w/ arrows and the wall). It makes me happy that she is paying attention, but like you, for free babysitting I would even go to the gym, or the dentist...
Marie said…
If I lived nearby you could get free childcare from me any night of the week. Sooo fuuunny.
Suzie Petunia said…
That's funny... my toddler's lesson today was about "I am thankful for fish". Not "eating Jesus". I wonder where that lesson is in the manual?...
Melissa said…
Love it! That's too funny! Yesterday our three year old informed us that she was no longer going to the "big kid class" (Sunbeams). She wanted to go to nursery and "eat treats and play with toys and not sit down" :)
glo said…
laughing - that's the best summary of the gift of nursery I've ever read!
Janell said…
I wonder if some teacher made a comment about the symbolism of the sacarment which was taken literally by the little kids.
Ryan said…
eat jesus- classic commandment!

penny rocks!
Amy said…
Might as well add my most recent primary comedy:
I was teaching about Jesus healing the 10 lepers. I asked if any of the kids knew what a leper was. One little boy answered, "It's like a tiger at the zoo, but with spots. And only one came back to thank Jesus." Gotta give props to the kid--he clearly knew the story, and I enjoyed imagining Jesus healing the 10 leopards.

Popular Posts