Sweet Manipulation

I've been pretty wiped out lately. After getting back from our trip last week, I've had to confront the piles of tasks I'm supposed to do and it's stressing me out. It doesn't help that my brain is stuck in vacation mode.

Yesterday I had just come up from doing laundry in the apartment complex garage. I jotted down three more items on my to-do list then collapsed on the couch. My two year old came hopping over to me. "Mommy, can you read me this book?" she asked, and shoved "Green Eggs and Ham" in my face.
"No." I snapped. "Mommy is tired of running around and is just going to sit still on this couch for five minutes and do NOTHING." I waited with gritted teeth for Pixie to burst into tears.
"Oh, no problem," she said. "Why don't you go lie down in my bed. It's really comfortable."

That was unexpected. "Okay," I said. "That sounds like a great idea." I picked up my lazy bones and trudged off to her toddler bed. Curling up into a little ball, I snuggled into her piles of stuffed animals.
"Here, let me put some nice blankets on you." Pixie then carefully layered her favorite blankets over my body. "Do you like that?"
"Yeah! Thanks, Sweetie."
"Okay. How about I read you a book." She ran to her bookshelf and got "The Pokey Little Puppy" then ran back to my side. "But I don't know the words. Why don't you read it by yourself." So Pixie curled up next to me and together we read a ridiculous book about a ridiculous puppy. When we were finished she patted my hair and said, "so how do you feel now?"
"Actually, I feel great!" I said.
"Good! Now can you read me my book?"

It may have all been calculated manipulation to get what she wanted, but I hadn't felt so refreshed in days. It was nice to get some star treatment from the little girl who I'm usually running in circles for. After I finished reading "Green Eggs and Ham" to her I was the one who suggested we read it again. Manipulation is a wonderful thing.

Comments

S'mee said…
Awesome story Sarah. Penny looks really sweet in the photo. Was that taken at M-T?
Millie said…
SUCK-ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

:) That was adorable. Sounds very familiar - both the being too busy and the surprisingly understanding daughter.
Sarah said…
What's M-T? The picture was taken a few weeks ago at Disneyland's Princess Land. And yes, I am a total sucker for my little sucker!
wynne said…
Ha! Well, that was very sweet of her. I would've fallen for it. (By the title of the post, I thought perhaps you had gone back to bribing her with candy again.)
Rachel said…
Whoa, Penny's method is so much more effective then the melt-down method that I get around here! I guess you really can kill more flies with honey! What a smart (and cute) princess.
Amy said…
Rock on, Penny.
Spike said…
rachel, don't worry, penny certainly has melt-downs in her bag of tricks. her arsenal of psychological weapons, if you will. its actually kind of funny. before bed every night, she has about ten tricks that she tries. first she wants to eat more. then watch tv. then she lays down on the floor. then she looses it. then she needs to use the bathroom, etc. i totally shoot down every trick, but just trying it buys her a few precious seconds, so she keeps at it night after night. pretty funny.
Suzie Petunia said…
I am a master of being manipulated by my children. They are so darn good at it.

Adorable story.
Unknown said…
The Pokey Little Puppy rocks! Does he still get rice pudding at the end?
Kathy Gillen said…
Would you, could you ever think kids were so smart? Cute.
Kristen said…
she's good, she's real good. it's amazing how much they really do "get".
Nancy Sabina said…
`I love those unexpected moments of relaxation. When Naomi was about 2 I convinced her that "taking a nap" was a really fun game. We would lay down on the floor and say "goodnight" to each other and then lay there for a while. She would occassionally say "good morning" and sit up - but then she would lay back down and say "goodnight" again. I LOVE that game.
bdmalouf said…
absolutly perfect and the little penelope that i know.
Unknown said…
In a few years, you'll be able to recite those books in your sleep. It will just be a matter of training your sleeping hands to methodically turn the pages.
Marie said…
How is it possible to be so adorable and so devious at the same time?? If she ever decides to teach a course, I'm there. What a doll!

Popular Posts