Mullet Mommy

Why don't I ever learn? I continue to commit the cardinal sins of hair cutting:

1. Cutting my hair myself
2. Late at night
3. When I'm in a bad mood
4. Attempting bangs


Ten days ago I decided to give myself a cute summer "do" so I took out the scissors. A few chunks here, some short, trendy bangs there, maybe another chunk here to balance out that chunk...shoot - are those bangs straight? A trim across the ears - no, not that much! The bangs are looking kind of short, maybe go shorter so it looks like it was on purpose?

Half hour later, the final result was a mullet fiasco. I shrieked, ran to my three year old's dress up box, and found a huge, checkered scarf to wrap around the damage. Ten days later, that scarf has only come off for showers. If anyone has any great recommendations for hair growing potions, please send them my way.

On the upside, I did find this great knit hat maker and custom ordered a cap I can wear all summer so my three year old can have her dress-ups back. I've never been a hat-person but then again, I've never been a mullet person either. My hat should be ready soon and I'll spend the rest of this Los Angeles summer sweating out my mistake in style.

Spike, please feel free to put all the scissors away on high shelves so I can't reach them next time I feel like giving myself a makeover.

Comments

Colleen said…
You know, the great thing about you is that you actually invite people to laugh at your expense. Love it!

I had a roommate in college who cut her own hair by grabbing fistfuls and chopping whatever was left. It was horrifyingly fascinating to watch. She insisted that I needed to cut my (then waist-length) hair to "get rid of all the bad energy" it harbored. I think she was volunteering to be my new hairdresser.
randa_joy said…
I want to see it.

ALso I would see a professional. A talented hairdresser can do wonders with mishaps.
Carolyn said…
I agree, you should really post a picture of the damage. I'm pretty sure we've all been to bad hair cut land. So we'll only laugh with you...not at you! :-)

And you should see a professional and get it fixed. You'll be glad you did.
Allie said…
I want pics!
Kels said…
Well... if it were me... since I'm a penny-pincher and don't like to spend any more than necessary on things like my hairdo... I'd go to Great Clips and have them correct it... seriously a haircut is like, $10 (less if you have one of their many coupons they send out for $6 or $7 haircuts)... I have NEVER gotten a bad haircut there, and I get my haircut there on a regular basis... and not at the same location by the same person, either... I always get layers and such and they always turn out wonderfully!
Boy Mom said…
So glad you shared, I've missed laughing my head off to start the day. Hey there's a solution laugh your head off.
Amber said…
I'm glad I'm not the only one that does that. I also like to dye my hair myself. May I suggest never trying to do red on your own? You may end up with Fuscia- and I don't know about you but I'm not able to pull that off.

I agree on the pictures and the professional.
Unknown said…
ahhh dying your own hair ROFL At two different point I learned my lesson there... one time it turned green ...ew and the otehr time it turned burgandy. And not pretty burgandy. Fake burgandy. Ugly nasty. Never had the courage to cut my own hair though :)
Jen lleras said…
this post is useless without pictures, I demand mullet glamour shots!!!
Anonymous said…
What?! No picture?! Come on Hollywood! Don't tease us like that...
Clyde said…
Don't see it, don't believe it. Pictures, please and thank you!
been there, done that.
Calidaho said…
The only other woman I know who cuts her own hair is Hubby's 85 year old grandma...

She inspriational in many ways but her hair is not one of them.

Popular Posts